Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Diagnosing my doggy

So Jedi may need therapy about the pink sparkly dress but the anxiety medication is for either:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)
Separation Anxiety Disorder (SAD)

I did not know when I was told he was "really needy" that this translated to crying, whining, and getting out of control every time he's left alone. I doesn't matter if it's the gas station for five minutes or work for ten hours, this animal has some significant impairments! My co-worker, a therapist, was the one who suggested RAD. Let's see if he meets any of the criteria for these disorders.

RAD and PTSD-not enough information known. Rule out.

SAD:
Excessive distress when separated from major attachment figure-checked
excessive worry-hmmm, I don't read animal minds, so no check.
Persistance reluctance to be away from caregiver in most settings-checked
Persistent reluctance or refusal to go to sleep without being near attachment figure or to sleep away from home-checked
Nightmares...hmmm. Probably no.
Physical complaints...not yet. But he can be so loud whining and crying that I get phone calls from neighbors when I'm at work.

Yes, this is causing distress and impairment to functioning.
Yes, it's almost been 4 weeks.
And yes, the onset was prior to age 18 years.

Yes. I do believe we have a diagnosis.

If anyone has suggestions on how to treat separation anxiety, please post!

No comments:

Post a Comment