Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Doggy Disaster and Dilemmas

Jedi, the cross dresser
I'm very sad to report that my dog baby got hit by a car today and is currently in the Animal Hospital this weekend, racking up a bill simiar in fashion to a weekend at a human hospital. I arrived at my friend Marcia's for dinner and opened the door, not seeing there was a car coming up right behind us. Jedi jumped right in front of the car and was hit on his left side. He was thrown about five feet and when I ran to grab him, he couldn't stand up, was obviously in a lot of pain and bit my thumb...hard. So I might add, all the blood drops in front of Marcia's house are from ME. I thought he was going to die, lost it, and made little sense when I finally got him inside. Marcia was inside the kitchen, and we both simultaneously were going for the sink with bleeding thumbs. Hers was from a metal can. She insisted I take him into the vet, saying we couldn't just let him suffer. Mark was also eating dinner there and was gracious enough to drive us. We raced up Grand Ave. and in my emotional state, drove right by the Animal Hospital. Then I was confused and couldn't remember if we were on the right streen. Upon finally getting to an alternative ER, it was determined that he had a dislocated shoulder and broke his femur. They recommended a titanium plate and pins to put it back together...$2,000-3,000. Ya right. I'd balk at spending that much out of pocket on my own leg! They also recommended a weekend stay to stabilize him and determine the extent of his injury. A thousand dollars. Seriously?!? Animals are not supposed to be expensive. When you grow up on a farm, accidents happen a lot with animals but they are usually put out of their misery or allowed to suffer. So I have a dilemma: I'm not gonna consider putting the "dog love of my life" down for a broken leg. But I'm also not going to spend thousand/s of dollars on an animal. So....he just might end up being a three legged poodle. And I'm praying, and am asking for your prayers, that there's no internal organ damage and everything will work out because I absolutely love this dog of mine!

3 comments:

  1. Poor, poor Jedi....and poor you! Hopefully he is recovering well. I've seen lots of happy three-legged doggies, if that's what it comes down to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...ugh! I am NOT anonymous! This is Ramie....not sure why it's not adding my profile to my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. We're so sorry. Caleb said that was such a sad sad story. We're wishing your dog the best. Is it his front or back leg that was hit? Keep us posted. love ya, Jenni

    ReplyDelete