"Clarence David Jackson, our beloved father, grandfather and great-grandfather, returned to his Heavenly Home on Jan. 12, 2011, at his daughter's home in Idaho Falls, Idaho, surrounded by family. Clarence was born July 9, 1914, in Woodruff, Utah, the son of Victor Orin and Ada Estelle Rex Jackson. His family moved to Belfry in 1924. He graduated from Belfry High School and attended Montana State University. He married his sweetheart, Dora Ann Hoke, in the Salt Lake City temple on March 31, 1943. To this loving couple were born 10 children. He adored his family and served faithfully in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In addition to farming, ranching and raising his family, he served on the co-op board and the Carbon County weed board. He was an enthusiastic supporter of the Belfry school and community, rarely missing a Belfry school sporting event. Clarence often shared his testimony of faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, that He is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. His posterity treasures the legacy of his testimony."
My tribute: Grandpa did have a strong, and usually long testimony! Growing up, he'd stand up to share it at church, and sometimes I'd think, "here we go again." His testimony might include a history of the Belfry branch, lengthy reminiscings, and other tangents. But he often quoted the scriptures and firmly believed that, "Men are to have joy" and "The glory of God is to bring about the immortality and eternal life of man." Grandpa was a hard worker. He had a sense of humor. During one visit in his later years I vividly remember him saying, "I used to wonder if I'd be alive at 90. Now I wonder if I'll still be irrigating when I'm 90!" During the same visit, which happened to be in the hospital after losing a finger and a half, someone told him to take care of himself. He quickly responded that he "should've told him that a week ago!" Living one half mile from Grandpa growing up meant that we were often called to help chase cows. The bane of my childhood existence was chasing cows! Even grandma, post hip-surgery, was expected to help chase or "head" cows. Grandpa called all his granddaughters his "barbie dolls!" He had an affinity for greating them by kissing them and other family on the lips. I finally got over my discomfort and enjoyed grandpa kisses in more recent years. I remember my first semester of college was incredibly difficult. I was so discouraged and overwhelmed. Grandpa wrote me a letter reminding me that "Rome wasn't built in a day." It was just what I needed to hear. One of the last times, I saw Grandpa, I showed him my beloved dog baby toy poodle. In true fashion, he commented that if I wanted something like that, I should've just got a teddy bear! He was always very practical. I'm proud of my Jackson heritage. It is a line of hearty, resilient "stock." Grandpa was the epitome of this. He was an example of enduring to the end.
I loved reading your tribute. Thanks for sharing your memories. We've been thinking about you and your family this week.
ReplyDelete